- L16 - Market structure, firm strategy, and market performance - Industrial organization and macroeconomics : Industrial structure and structural change ; Industrial price indices
- G38 - Corporate finance and governance - Government policy and regulation
- L33 - Nonprofit organizations and public enterprise - Comparison of public and private enterprises ; Privatization ; Contracting out
- Thinking regarding the privatization of state industries and enterprises in the former Comecon countries has tended to focus on the efficiency gains that would occur in the privatized sector. Based on the comparatively good performance and the rather rigid configuration of Comecon production institutions, the scope for such productivity gains seems small. Rather, productivity and innovation in the post-Comecon economies are likely to depend greatly on the emergence of new, initially small, entrepreneurial firms. The extent and form of privatization may affect these firms' prospects for success. How the privatized-firm and entrepreneurial sector will interact depends on public-finance considerations as well as on considerations of industrial organization.
- Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. Research Division.
- In Collection:
Downloadable ContentDownload PDF
Download a zip file that contains all the files in this work.